Friday, January 14, 2011

Do you want it? Come and take it.


Go get 'em Tiger!

The below dialougue is a result of a discussion I have with myself, upon waking up every morning.
LIFE:
Hi, I’m life.
ME:
Hi
LIFE:
In my right hand I have $100 in my left hand I have $1,000,000 you can take which ever one you choose. All you have to do is take it! Simple, just take it!
Me:
Cool, I’m taking the $1,000,000, thank you so much, see you soon!
LIFE:
See you tomorrow!
For me the above dialougue pretty much sums up how I see eveything, including being a landscape architect. Am I a succesfull landscape architect? Well by many peoples standards the answer is a resounding “NO” . This isn’t a problem, I think being succesful, being great is something you choose, it’s not given, it’s presented, and when it’s presented you have a choice,take it or leave it. That choice is presented to everybody, every day, but very few of us take it and even more of us fail to see it.
I believe the key rests in your awarness to connect yourself to the greatness that is within you.  Which is why I choose to make myself aware and for the purpose of this blog that awarness is all about understanding what makes somebody a great landscape architect, now I could look at both sides and try and figure out what makes somebody an average LA and what makes somebody a great LA, get the result, analyze then compare and contrast, disect and criticly evaluate it and that would be then considered a sceintific study but we’re not in a lab we’re in life and in life you get what you focus on.
Which is why I’ve decided to focus on succesful landscape arhcitects, over the next 3 to 4 months, I will be embarking on a mission to meet, interview and evaluate succesfull landscape architects, people who have won awards, own their own practice and have a well rounded life with a passion and desire for improvment and excellence.
I want to see how they do it, what it takes and hopefully be inspired to take similar steps and one day stand on the shoulders of giants so that one day I can offer the new generations of LA’s to come the gift of inspiration, knowledge and wisdom to achieve great things for our profession.
You see no matter how unusual or unexpected great results are, when traced back you will see that they all follwed a logical format, a format that can be applied to your life. You will also see that succesfull people develop habits that others don’t have and upon applying these  habits on a daily basis they contribute to achieving fantastic results. These habits can also be learnt and applied. It would be delussional to think otherwise.
My theory is that if you learn these habits, if you are open to great opportunities and take action when they present themselves, no matter what your circumstances, you too can be just as great as the people you admire and look up to for guidance and inspiration.
We are all made from the same organic matter, what makes us different is how we believe, behave and percieve.  If you change these three things, you can change your life to suit your desires.
So if you want to be an average LA, don’t pay attention to the interviews, if you want more, if you want to be successfull, if you want to be a great Landscape Architect, then get ready to hear about how it’s done, by people who have done it and continue to do it on a daily basis.
I hope you’re as excited about the interviews as I am, which wil be accompanied by a few benificial extras, to help you make the most out of what “WE” are going to learn together.
The first interview will be posted on the “Landscape Architects” facebook page, the connection to the page is at the bottom of the blog. Make sure you click on the  “Like” button and stay conected.
I look forward to seeing you there,
“You must become the strenght you admire in others” AS A MAN THINKETH BY JAMES ALLEN

Scott.
Enjoy.

1 comment: